Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Dirty Dozen (Infographic)

A while back, I posted an article talking about 5 common healthy eating fallacies. In it, I mentioned the studies done by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) that have shown which foods are most and least likely to be contaminated by pesticides if purchased non-organic. The "Dirty Dozen" are the foods that you should, if at all possible, purchase organic, as some are almost always contaminated with trace amounts of pesticides.

Will you die or get sick if your produce is contaminated? Most likely not, but a buildup of chemicals like pesticides can cause problems if they build up. My brother recently decided to go vegan, and my dad told me he has a list of the "Dirty Dozen" and the "Clean 15" posted on his fridge as a reminder of which foods should be purchased organic and non-organic. I thought that was a great idea--since I can never remember when I'm at the store or listing groceries--and I decided to go ahead and create my own.

Here are the "Dirty Dozen" as listed by the 2013 EWG report, created using easel.ly. I hope you find this as useful as I do, and that you pass it on to anyone else who might as well!



All images are from Shutterstock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google