Friday, March 31, 2017

If You Can’t Find the Motivation to Workout, Maybe You’re Just Not a Gym Person

A woman at the gym struggles to finish her workout. She is exhausted and unmotivated.
Photo credit: Shutterstock
I have a confession to make: for all the time I spend touting about fitness, I hardly ever go to the gym. And for the longest time I felt guilty about that. But what I’ve come to discover is that there is more than one way to get fit.

If you’re anything like me, you can’t stand the mundane feel of a gym. There’s nothing exciting about elliptical machines, treadmills, and weight lifting equipment. On top of that, the lighting is unflattering and the whole place smells kind of funky. I’d much rather be outdoors, surrounded by nature’s beauty.

It took me the longest time to come to terms with the fact that I’m more of a hiking, biking, kayaking, rock climbing kind of girl. As a society, we are so inundated with images of gym-fit bodies that we tend to exclusively associate the two. Athletes use them. Doctors are always advocating for them. Don’t all healthy people go the gym?

Not necessarily. Being healthy is more than just physical wellbeing; it’s about spiritual, mental, and emotional wellbeing, too. That’s why you have to discover what makes YOU feel inspired and fulfilled.  

As I said before, for me it’s about being in nature. There’s nothing I love more than a scenic walk. But for others, it might be about joining a sports team. It might be about taking a yoga class. It might be that you love animals and want to volunteer at the local animal shelter and take the dogs for a walk. Different strokes for different folks.

If you feel like you literally have to drag yourself to the gym every day, there’s a pretty good chance it’s because that type of an environment doesn’t align with your personality. Do yourself a favor and find an exercise routine that leaves you feeling motivated, energetic, and refreshed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google