Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Read This Before Taking Xanax

A photo of Xanax pills.
Photo courtesy of Dean 812 at Flickr Creative Commons. 
Anxiety sufferers: heed my advice. There are some serious side effects and risks that you should know about before taking Xanax. Please understand that my motive is not to dissuade you from taking prescription medications for anxietyrather, I merely want to educate you on the complications that can occur as a result of taking one of the most potent benzodiazepines on the market.

The first thing you should know is that Xanax can be incredibly addictive. In fact, according to the Journal of Addictive Behaviors, up to 44% of chronic benzodiazepine users become physically dependent on the drug. Again, I don’t say this to scare you; I say it so that you’ll be cautious before taking it.

If you want to know what a Xanax addiction is like, look no further than this article published in Salon magazine. The following quote is attributed to Ashley Zlatopolsky, who formed a heavy addiction to the medication.

“Even when I forced myself to go out, I still felt so alone. It’s incredible how lonely the road of addiction can be, especially when you’re surrounded by people who love you. Addicts are always alone on the inside, but perhaps the loneliest part of all is feeling like the drugs are your only friends when your real friends are sitting at your side staring at you and wondering why you won’t say a word. It’s kind of hard to talk when you’re that far gone.”

You should also know that combining Xanax with other substances is extremely dangerous. Mixing Xanax with alcohol or other drugs can lead to respiratory arrest, coma, and even death. Don’t do it. Just don’t.

Lastly, receiving the correct dosage is very important. This shouldn’t be a problem for those of you who are receiving the medication via doctor prescription. However, there’s a whole new added level of risk the minute you start doubling up on pills or taking someone else’s prescription.

Taking too high of a dosage can lead to blackout, loss of motor function, and death. Again, please don’t risk it.

With that being said, the decision is yours as far as whether you still want to take the medication or not. Also know that there are safer alternatives as well.

I know I’ve said it a million times before, but I’m always here to offer my support and advice should you need it. Feel free to email me, comment below, or message me on Twitter.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google